Friday, February 18, 2022

More Short Film Analysis

 After watching those past films and analyzing them, I would like to continue my research and view more short films. The feelings created with the last pieces developed differently, and I want to achieve that. Creating a proper storyline will hopefully set me up for success for that. I could even decide to create my piece without my subjects knowing the entire storyline. A limited subject could create the proper atmosphere required in my piece. 


  • Somnium | Psychological Thriller Short Film
    • The psychological thriller short film really demonstrated different varieties of genre conventions. Of course, there was the suspense music and the dark subway-type scene with an ominous character in the distance - which was good additions to the piece. I disliked the beginning of the piece taking place in a school setting. The shots were too wide and the coloring just seemed almost amateur for the piece. However, progressively the switch of shots to different angles gradually made the piece better. There was a very cool transition at the school from entering a classroom to entering the next setting. I really enjoyed how the person who made the piece edited his shots together to create the piece he did. In the last sequence, where we see the character we have been following (like an out-of-body thing) see himself almost crash into a person, was a fast and cool transition. We saw both perspectives, and the transition to 'back-in-body' was not awkward. 
  • GRIEF - A psychological Short-Film
    • This piece seemed to start quite well. The audio effects started so well, but then when the piece began - it was quite disappointing. The dialogue was created quite badly because the doctor seemed so informal and seemed to lack quite what he was even supposed to say. The creator attempted to film without audio and input the dialogue in post-production and it didn't turn out well. The variety of shots lacked heavily and overall the piece was quite disappointing, especially with the topic attempted to be presented on the grief cycle. 
  • DON'T LOOK AWAY | Horror Short Film
    • I enjoyed this piece very much. The beginning was a little slow in the pick up of what was going on but once it began it developed so beautifully. I enjoyed the way the shots were taken, the light and composition, and the location immensely. The piece wasn't too in your face a little of the dialogue was a bit cringy but it all worked together to make the story and develop the piece in the way they did. There were shots with audio added that you can tell were made in post-production that sounds so great. Just a simple shot of the character putting their phone in and out of their pocket - the audio foley was sounded so natural. 
The variety that I am watching for research has been creating so many different experiences. The last piece I watched in the post I enjoyed immensely more than the other ones I watched. Even watching the grief cycle piece - I can take all the way that the piece was undeveloped and factor those concepts towards my production to achieve not making those mistakes. I want to search for more pieces to research and maybe if I can get the chance to watch a psychological film to gather more inspiration - I can do that. I crave more ideas to make my piece make a story that doesn't just follow a simple narrative.
stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here are the finished products!!!

 Here are my 3 components:  SOCIAL MEDIA: @mindfull_mindset https://www.instagram.com/mindfull_mindset/ FILM FESTIVAL POSTCARD: FRONT BACK S...